Visualization Session at OOW UnconferencePosted: October 8, 2009
OOW is next week, and on Monday, October 12, 4:00pm PST, I’ll be giving my unconference session about visualization.
Visualization is a big topic. What I’m going to talk about is:
- Why visualization is such an amazing tool for DBAs. Not just for newbies, it is actually more effective for experienced DBAs. I’ll explain why.
- Lots of examples of how you can use different graphs to explore your data set from different angles. I’ll show you some graphs you are familiar with (Histograms), and some that you probably don’t use (QQNorm). I’ll explain when to use each graph type.
- Stories about visualization – how a visualization mistake caused a manager to panic and cancel an important maintenance for instance.
- Some suggestions on how to format graphs so they’ll have maximum effect in documents, emails and presentations.
- If anyone is interested, I can show how I work with R to do visual data analysis. But its not in the slides, so you’ll have to ask for it.
One thing I will not mention:
I know that everyone who talks about visualization talks about him, but I won’t. He does those amazing graphs and demonstrates how powerful visualization can be. I use Excel and R to create my graphs. They are not beautiful or amazing, and they can still be very very effective. This means that you will be able to easily reproduce everything I do in my presentation. You don’t need to be a talented designer to use graphs effectively.
See you on Monday!